CSU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulduar Bosses Guide

2 posters

Go down

Ulduar Bosses Guide Empty Ulduar Bosses Guide

Post  Histidine Sun May 31, 2009 5:53 pm

WORK IN PROGRESS
PLEASE DON'T COMMENT YET

RIghto, here is my Ulduar raid bosses guide, in the same vein as the Naxxramas one that you all found so helpful. Video strategies from the ever-useful Tankspot.com are linked by each boss, with a breakdown of the tactics for each member of the raid. I will do the bosses in the order of difficulty that we have downed them so far, and to eliminate any possible misunderstandings I will not post a guide until I have seen that tactic down the boss myself. Warning: some of these tactics are complex, and I will be thorough. Berlin Walls of Text incoming.

THE GAUNTLET (not technically a boss, so no video strategy)

When you first enter Ulduar (oooh, isn't it pretty!) you will see a makeshift camp laid out around you, with various vehicles being repaired. The raid leader will know whether your group is capable/willing to attempt a hard mode Flame Leviathan kill, and speak to the appropriate NPC to start the event (Brann Bronzebeard for easy mode, Lore Keeper for optional hard modes). The raid will then be assigned seating positions in the variety of vehicles; please do not take a seat in one until you have been told where to sit, it just makes things quicker and smoother.

Siege Engine drivers: You will be the front end of the assault, with the most health and the melee attacks to ram down towers and the larger colossi.
S.E. gunners: A very straightforward job, I usually give this to any new players since it is hard to mess it up; just shoot down the helicopters when they attack us, and generally shoot everything else.
Demolisher drivers: Backing up the Siege Engines, while avoiding being hit. Use the long-range bombardment to bring down the largest enemies and the toughest towers.
Demolisher passengers: Keep an eye out for the blue pyrite canisters, and scoop them up where you can; it allows your driver to fire the special high-damage attack.
Choppers: Provide close support for the siege engines from the swarms of little blue iron dwarves; usually the S.Es have bigger fish to fry.

If you are going for the easymode kill on Leviathan, just breeze straight through to him, destroying the Storm Beacons as you go as they are spawn points for mobs. Watch out for Colossi, that do a large melee AoE; mechanotanks, that do a stupendous amount of damage via their lasers; and swarms of helicopters that do a Laser Barrage, but are easily destroyed by S.E. gunners. If you find your vehicle running low on health, there are repair pads near the end that instantly heal you to full; it can often be worth it to just dive to the end, grab a repair and return to the fray.

FLAME LEVIATHAN (no Tankspot video exists, they didn't bother: he really is that easy)

I will be explaining the easymode kill. The harder modes complicate the battle in various unpleasant ways; I wouldn't worry about it unless you can effortlessly nail the easy mode with no deaths.
You will battle this boss in the vehicles you have been driving. Once the remaining trash is cleared, including the two large Colossi in front of his gate, the boss battle will engage. There is usually enough time to grab a quick repair before the forcefield comes up. Leviathan will randomly target a Siege Engine or Demolisher during the fight, and head for them. If he reaches you, he will hit you for 100k a second. Thus, kite him! Both vehicles have a speed boost for emergencies (although the Demolisher will rarely be in a position to use it, since the passenger activates it), but you should quickly get the hang of simply legging it for the required short time. Choppers can assist in slowing him with tar patches. The complication comes because he is stacking a speed buff on himself. At zero stacks, he is easily outrun; at ten, he is probably equally fast as us; at twenty, he will swiftly catch and kill the raid.

To reset the stacks, the two Demolisher passengers ("Finally, something for us to do!") who ought to be the group's top melee DPS, will hit the button marked Load Into Catapult and the Demolisher drivers will angle their vehicle towards Leviathan and hit Launch Passenger. The two melees will then be hurled into the air, grappling-hook onto Leviathan frontal turrets, and swing downwards on top of the boss. Epic win. The raiders on top of the boss are fixed in position and simply nuke down the two turrets; when they are both down, the boss will stop moving and enter a phase of extreme vulnerability for 30 seconds. In this time, the Demolisher drivers should unload every scrap of pyrite ammo they have at the boss, doing colossal damage. Leviathan will then reactivate and head for a S.E. or Demolisher again.

Now, while Leviathan is down or shortly after he reactivates, the choppers have a crucial task. The two melee DPSers will be launched upwards off the tank and parachute safely to the ground. They then must return to the demolisher they were launched from in order to be launched again. They rarely last more than five seconds unprotected on the ground, so choppers must be within range to provide pick-up. If they have taken any damage while on the ground, chopper drivers can heal them with their First Aid ability.

As a final note, any Siege Engine not being chased by Leviathan may feel slightly useless; try meleeing the boss from behind. You are perfectly safe so long as you get distance before the target-change; and you can interrupt his raidwide AoE Flame Jets with your Electroshock. On our first kill, we lost every vehicle apart from a siege engine, which solo-kited him from 6% to death using just the puny turret. Don't give up.

RAZORSCALE Video
This fight resembles Gothik the Harvester from Naxxramas in that the raid will be split into two teams, each tasked with handling a stream of adds until the boss can be targeted. Ranged DPS get a tank and a healer and handle the left half of the Aerie, melee DPS get a tank and a healer and handle the right half. The extra healer (usually me) should provide help where it is needed and handle the harpoon launchers.

ADD PHASE
Upon starting the encounter, drills will immediately dig up from under the platform and deposit iron dwarves. The tanks should be positioned almost directly on top of the drills, to allow easy pickup. There are three types of adds, and they spawn in three distinct locations. Watchers are casters and should be handled by ranged DPS on the left, to prevent their chain lightning from mulching the melee. Guardians are tank and spank, and should be cleaned up by the melee on the right. Sentinels are extremely dangerous, much larger than their associates and whirlwind. This whirlwind will do large spike damage to the tank, and roflpwn any melee in range. The ranged tank should taunt the Sentinel quickly to bring it over to the ranged DPS to kill.

While this is going on, Razorscale is firing fireballs from above. They used to do much more damage but now are just a background annoyance for the healers. Devouring Flame is a blue patch on the ground that you should not ever be standing in for any reason. DBM helpfully shouts when Razor targets you for this, so just jump away. Eventually, the allies at the back will repair the two harpoon launchers, and the backup healer will head back there. Ideally, all adds should be dead around this time. If you are being overwhelmed, it is possible that DPS is too low; if there are one or two, at least it gives the tanks something to do. Firing the harpoons will drag Razor down to the ground, where she will be held (not requiring tanking). All DPS should immediately drop everything, and nuke her like it hurts. Seriously. You have thirty seconds, and it should not take more than three of these phases to get her to fifty percent, so blow every cooldown. The thirty second window coincides helpfully with a Heroism. Just noting that in passing. She will then shrug off the ropes, obliterate the harpoon launchers and fly into the air. Add Phase resumes.

KITE PHASE
When you have gone through three harpoon downings, she should be at 50%. She will then be permanently grounded, and the fight enters a stage reminiscent of Grobbulus. Tanks kite (to avoid the flame patches she drops) her backwards (to avoid the frontal breath attack killing everyone) while occasionally taunting off each other (to prevent the Fuse Armor debuff stacking too high). Five stacks will stun the tank for five seconds with 0% armour. Two stacks would seem plenty to me! Flame Buffet (+1000 to all flame damage) will also stack on the entire raid, turning this into a DPS race; after too many the tanks will be oneshotted by her flame breath. This phase is however much easier than add phase, and the berserk timer is quite forgiving so long as you only needed three harpoon-downs. Heal through the breath attack, dodge the flame patches, win the DPS race.

XT-002 DECONSTRUCTOR
More Adds Blah, and Tantrum Blah

KALOGARN
Faceroll Blah

More detail to come.

Histidine
CSU Abandoner/ Moderator
CSU Abandoner/ Moderator

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Ulduar Bosses Guide Empty Flame leviathon

Post  Eraisuithon Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 pm

I know you said no comments but i dont want to talk to you so hah! :p Im not sure if you mentioned this or not so it thought i would, the health of your vechiles for the FL are based on the rating of your gear (i.e naxx 10 = 200, naxx 25 = 213) so for instance if you have dual spec, as your attacks are all vechile based it can be useful to mix your gear to get more health. You might want to think about this when assigning people to the siege tanks, especially if you are attempting a hard mode kill, as you can get a lot more health out of them with well geared people, i think my gear (majority 213, three 219 and then a few 200 lvl items) gets around 1.3-1.4 million health, which means you can take the extra damage from the towers a bit easier.
Eraisuithon
Eraisuithon
Resurgence Trouble Maker
Resurgence Trouble Maker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down