CSU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all ya Frost DKs out there...

Go down

For all ya Frost DKs out there... Empty For all ya Frost DKs out there...

Post  Vendes Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:35 am

DISCLAIMER: Since patch 3.1.0 close to all the info posted on this thread is more or less irrelevant, and should be approached with a certain degree of humorous value. Damn you Blizzard.

Rite, I've been usin Frost as my DPS spec for a very long time now, and basically the whole time I've been participatin in end-game content and with very good results [rawr], and I've come to the point where I have seen too many DKs slackin with alien-like talent builds, non-existin DPS rotations (apply diseases and nuke with every spell w00t) and the results have been rather opposite to spectacular.

Well, I decided to do my bit to help this situation...

What ye'll see here will not be a guide that makes ye top 3k DPS with greens and Deranged Waraxe, but rather a wall 'o text where half will be useless pratterin and the other half hopefully givin ye some directions how to spec 'n how to use it.
Also do note that this one is purely from Frost DPS kinda view, since it's the only spec I've played... Through and through.
So if ye want to get any good outta this result of mornin boredom;

RESPECC TO FROST. Ye won't regret it. I'm not tellin ye what to do, just gentle suggestion there. *cough*

Propaganda added, let's get started shall we?

Good /Bad Strong points of Frost DPS
Amazing AoE, average single target DPS. Trust me, learnin to live with the fact that 40% of DPS comes from single spell [Howling Blast] makes life easier for a Frost DPSer. A lot. Average single target DPS means just that. It's still good, but it won't make Frostie shine in front of the Sun.

Talents
To save some time Because of my laziness I'll copy my armory link and explain a bit afterwards Very Happy
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Chamber+of+Aspects&n=Vendes
First, important note is that I'm sometimes runnin aroun' with my PvP spec, so if the link above doesn't include Icy Talons, it's the PvP one!
Secondly, this is *not* the absolute, only existin DPS spec there is. Some points are there just to fill in, and ye can feel free to move 'em from Frost Aura for example, if feelin so. Just that I tried to include in all the things that increase DPS and drop all the absolute tankin/PvP things. Also, the Blood Tap from blood side ain't necessary, but might help ye while questin etc.

Spell Rotation
It doesn't matter how good gear ye have, no matter how perfect spec ye're usin... If ye have no idea how and when to blow all those l33t abilities ye have, they're more or less useless. Laughing
For those not familiar with the subject, spell rotation (or DPS rotation) is the order in which ye use yer spells in.
Do, again, note that this is the rotation *I'm* usin, the one I have found fittin. There might be and propably are better ones out there, *shrug*

Do read this from up to the bottom.

Plague Strike
Icy Touch
Blood Strike
Blood Strike
Howling Blast
Frost Strike
Frost Strike
(3. Frost Strike, depending on yer Runic Power)

Nothin too flashy, easy to keep up. I like it.
Do note that Obliterate is not included in the normal rotation, for the simple reason that it eats up the same runes as Howling Blast and does less damage than Howling Blast. (At least for me, this might change when gear goes high enough)
There are, however, few exeptions in where Obliterate can be added into the rotation with Howling Blast;

1) "Rime" talent, from tier 6 in Frost tree
Rime has a 15% change each time when castin Icy Touch to make yer next Howling Blast to consume no runes at all, which in return makes it possible to add in an Obliterate into the rotation along with Howling Blast!
On Rime proc the rotation would look like this:

Plague Strike
Icy Touch [Rime procs]
Blood Strike
Blood Strike
Howling Blast
Obliterate <---
Frost Strike
Frost Strike

Also it should be noted that Rime proc is called "Feezing Fog", which in itself has no flashy proc effects or silly sounds added, which can make noticin it in middle of a hectic fight pretty hard. For me the solution was a very useful AddOn called Scrolling Combat Text, which is basically an improved version of Blizz's combat text. It has an option to create custom events, and I'm usin it to pop up a useful text "FREEZING FOG" in the case Rime procs. It can be downloaded from curse.com in case ye don't have it already, and if ye're havin trouble makin custom events do give me a /w in-game and I'll help ye out Razz

2) "Blood of the North" talent, from tier 8 in Frost tree
What does BotN do? Each time when ye use a Blood Rune for Blood Strike, it converts that Blood Rune to Death Rune when the rune refreshes. Death Runes are simply runes that can be used for everything, like a blood, frost and unholy rune combined all in one, badass rune of apocalypse.
What this does for yer rotation is, that it allowes ye to use Obliterate instead of Blood Strikes in the next rotation after the one where Blood Strikes were used. Put in more simple way:

Plague Strike
Icy Touch
Blood Strike (Death Rune created)
Blood Strike (Death Rune created)
Howling Blast
Frost Strike
Frost Strike

Rotation starts over again;

Plague Strike
Icy Touch
Obliterare (Death Runes consumed)
Howling Blast
Frost Strike
Frost Strike

So in other words, should ye put this talent into use, every second rotation would include an Obliterate.
It may take some practise to learn to use this properly, but if and when ye do, it might possibly increase yer DPS somewhat...

Ah well, maybe it would've been more precise if I titled this as "DPS rotation for Frost DKs and some other nonsense" but I am who I am.

Someone has to.

Peace out.
Vendes
Vendes
CSU Guild Member
CSU Guild Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum